During the years 1950-1960 Vättern was subject to large nutrient rich contamination which was threatening the lake with eutrophication. Thereby the Committee of lake Vätterns Water Resource Management was formed 1957, with the objective of protecting the lakes uniqueness and to co-ordinate measures, monitoring programmes and research in and around the lake. The pollution was investigated and initiative was taken to scientifically describe the ecosystem of the lake.
The first water management plan was accepted 1970 and forceful measures to limit the eutrophication of the lake were initiated. In 1989 the organisation was re-organised forming the Lake Vättern Society of Water Conservation, which continues to run the monitoring programme and watches over the different interests in and around the lake. The work of the society is financed by its´ members who consist of e.g. local and regional authorities, county boards and companies around Vättern.
The objectives of the society are to work towards the well-being of the lake by:
- Influencing the structural planners in society to take consideration of the lake
- Co-ordinating and evaluating investigations
- Initiating concrete measures, e.g. by managing projects
- Spreading information about Vättern, i.e. through reports, conferences etc.
Thereby we aim to achieve the following goals:
- Conserving the lake as a nutrient poor clear water lake
- Protecting professional and recreational fishing as well as other out-door activities
- Guarantee the drinking water quality of the lake